Why Buy Local Food from the Kino’ole Farmers Market?
As if we really need reasons to shop at our local farmers market…
but just in case here are 9 reasons….
Locally grown is Farm Fresh..
Family farms help protect the environment.
Buying regionally grown supports Hawaii’s economy & resources.
Thriving family farms build rural economies.
Buying local connects your food from Farm to Table.
Family farms help children learn healthy values.
Diverse family farms means increased local food security.
It just tastes better.
The market is an experience, a small fun, event in your day!
10 Shopping Tips for Kinoole Farmers Market Customers
- When you arrive, first take a walk through the entire market…See what’s available and all the yummy bounty on display!
- Bring your shopping bags…Cloth, reusable, net whatever you like but our vendors are now required by law to only sell single use plastic bags.
- Dress for the weather, since we’re in the tropics it might rain or it might sunshine;very likely we will have both!
- Keep your car keys out of your shopping bags, they seem to eat keys.
- Bargaining for big boxes or large amounts is usually acceptable.
- Many vendors will allow you to pre-order your favorite items, just speak to them directly.
- If the farmer is not too busy, do not hesitate to ask questions about recipes or growing methods. You might even get to know each other’s name.
- If you forgot cash, see the market tent and manager we can swipe your debit card and give you food bucks in exchange! Our EBT card system and “Food Bucks” provides convenience for all shoppers.
- Get to know your farmers, have patience with them. Smile at them and appreciate them. If you do, you will find them smiling back and appreciating you in return. After all farmers’ markets are really about the experience and socializing.
- Variety is the spice of life, mix it up and try something new. Adapt an old recipe for local flavors and products sourced from Hawaii Island.
Happy shopping we hope you will enjoy the market as much as we do!